Sign in if you already have an account.
  
donate.gif

National Spotlight

Financial Resources —Did you know that there are many financial resources that can help people living with breast cancer? Find out more

2016-2017 GRANT AWARDS

SUSAN G. KOMEN HAWAII’S ROBUST COMMUNITY GRANTS PROGRAM AWARDS GRANTS TO EIGHT ORGANIZATIONS THAT PROVIDE CRITICAL BREAST HEALTH SERVICES IN HAWAII

(HONOLULU, HI – August 3, 2016) Over $270,000.00 will be granted to local community organizations to help underinsured and uninsured women in Hawaii.  Grantees include Castle Medical Center, Kalihi – Palama Health Center, Kokua Kalihi Valley Comprehensive Family Services, Lanai Community Health Center, Maui Memorial Medical Center Foundation, Molokai General Hospital, Pacific Cancer Foundation and Waimanalo Health Center.

Komen Hawaii’s vision is to have all Hawaii women, regardless of ethnicity or socioeconomic status, take responsibility for and participate in the highest level of breast health.  The Affiliate focus is to expand Komen’s mission throughout the State by supporting and promoting collaborations among Hawaii healthcare providers and organizations; enabling implementation of culturally sensitive education, screening and treatment programs; thereby translating Komen’s vision into reality.

Since its inception, Komen Hawaii has funded over $3,700.000.00 for breast cancer and breast health education, screenings, treatment and survivor support programs in the State of Hawaii.  Examples of the most commonly funded interventions, thus far include, but are not limited to: outreach programs, reduced costs to patients for mammography, group education, reduced logistical barriers to mammography, translation/interpretation services, reduced logistical  and financial barriers to treatment, support groups, educational material development an dissemination.

Susan G. Komen Hawaii is one of more than 100 Susan G. Komen Affiliates worldwide – all pledging to relieve suffering from the disease and to end breast cancer forever.  Through local events and activities, Komen Hawaii mobilizes and educates thousands of community members, while raising funds to support community based breast cancer and breast health programs.  In order to ensure its funding programs address the specific unmet breast cancer, Komen Hawaii works with local health care professionals and community leaders to conduct a comprehensive community needs assessment.  This, in conjunction with the organization’s mission, establishes the criteria for grant applications and grant review process consistent with the organization’s standards and mission.

About Susan G. Komen and Susan G. Komen Hawaii:

Nancy G. Brinker promised her dying sister, Susan G. Komen, that she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer forever, and in 1982, that promise became Susan G. Komen for the Cure. Through their annual high profile events like the Komen Hawaii Race for the Cure, and the Pink Tie Ball, Susan G. Komen Hawaii has invested more than $3 million in community breast cancer programs. 

Komen Hawaii is part of the world’s largest and most progressive grassroots network fighting breast cancer.  Up to 75 percent of the net proceeds generated by the Affiliate stay in Hawaii.  The remaining 25 percent funds national breast cancer research.  For more information, visit www.komenhawaii.org.